Ras el hanout seasoning adds depth and warmth to simple, inexpensive ingredients for a delicious meal.
This soup easily becomes vegan by switching the chicken broth to vegetable broth and firm tofu for the chicken. Omit the French fried onions to make it gluten free.
2 carrots, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 15oz cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp ras el hanout seasoning
4 cups of chicken stock
Salt to taste
3 tsps sugar
French fried onions
1 - 2 large chicken breasts
1. Sauté carrots, celery, and onion in a generous drizzle of avocado oil and a sprinkle of salt until onion is translucent and carrots are softened.
2. Add chickpeas and ras el hanout seasoning and sauté until fragrant, 3-5 minutes.
3. Add 3 cups of stock, reserving the last cup. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and let cool to a manageable temp for blending. Use an immersion blender or blender (blending in batches) to blend until smooth.
5. Stir in remaining cup of stock and sugar and simmer until hot.
6. Rub a butterflied chicken breast with salt and harissa paste and grill in a grill pan until internal temperature reaches 165°.
7. Dice cooked chicken.
8. Serve soup with diced chicken and French fried onions.